9.28.2011

#57 -- House of Fears (2007)

Director: Ryan Little
Rating: 3 / 5

A group of friends decides to leave a party, and instead break into a haunted house attraction. It is called The House of Fears, and they must travel through each level of fear: spiders, the dark, clowns, and ghosts – just to name a few. But, what they don't know is that an African relic has been placed inside the house – a relic that brings their fears to life. So, quite literally, the kids have to face their fears in order to get out with their lives.

Some of the kids' fears are typical, others not so much. But regardless, each of those fears is out to get them. I like the idea of the movie, and I think it could have been quite wonderful. It's not that it was bad; it's just that the fear-factor (for viewers) is zero. The set was wonderful, and I found myself wishing there was a haunted house like that near me. It was beautiful in its sinister sort of way. The acting was decent; the gore was non-existent, as were effects of any sort. There were a few characters that could be related to, but other than that, it was another one of those "meh" films. I didn't hate it; I didn't love it.




I enjoyed the set more than anything, really. There was a brightly-colored, spinning room; the hall of mirrors, and the "funhouse" bit (with black-lights and clown murals); a graveyard with creepy crypt-keeper. The set was amazing, and I think that's what made this film bearable. Jared Padalecki made a brief appearance at the beginning, and I was disappointed that he didn't get more screen time. I was hoping that he would end up being the killer, but...Overall, this movie is not all that great; it's dull and forgettable. But I enjoyed it, again, mostly because of the setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment