9.17.2011

#48 -- American Psycho (2000)

Director: Mary Harron
Rating: 2.5 / 5

Christian Bale stars as Patrick Bateman - a business man obsessed with image/serial killer. He seems to suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, and he wants to be the absolute best at everything. But when that doesn't quite work out as he'd like, he goes a bit crazy. He kills a co-worker, a bum, some whores, and an old friend. 

One of the whores almost gets away, so he chases her through the apartment building - naked (except for a pair of running shoes) and wielding a chainsaw. ATMs start talking to him. He's withdrawing some cash, when he sees a little cat; he looks back to the screen, and flashing across it are the words feed me a stray cat. Now, this was the best part of the movie, because I literally laughed my ass off for five minutes straight.

He ends up confessing to his lawyer, but no one believes him. NO ONE BELIEVES HIM. I'm not sure why, but I was led to believe that he was imagining the whole thing. I was a bit confused throughout this entire movie; certain things seemed completely irrelevant, and I'd think once he confessed to killing about forty people he would have been arrested. But again...I just don't know.


I've read a couple of other reviews for this, all good, referring to the novel on which it was based. I think if I had read the book beforehand, I might have been able to understand the character of Patrick Bateman better. But as it is, I didn't read the book, and I didn't understand. This movie was slow and quite uneventful up until the last twenty minutes. Patrick was crazy and comical at times, but the initial kills weren't very exciting, and the slow pace threw me off. I would say that fans of the book should check this out, but I really don't know. Just as a movie on its own, though, it didn't have much to offer me.

No comments:

Post a Comment