10.17.2011

#69 -- Masters of Horror: Homecoming (2005)

Director: Joe Dante
Rating: 3 / 5

This movie is not so much horror as it is political satire. A man (I'm not sure what his title is, politically) makes a comment that he wishes the fallen soldiers could come back to tell them what they feel about their sacrifice. The president decides to use that in a speech, and -whattaya know- the fallen soldiers come back from the dead. They believe that the soldiers would say, "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve my country," or, "Thanks for getting me killed for no reason, assholes." But they are very wrong. 

Yeah, they're zombies. But they're no ordinary zombies. They don't want to eat people, or eat brains or whatever it is that zombies eat these days. All they want to do is vote. They want their voices to be heard. They cast their votes in a way that (I assume) will get the president out of office and end the war. And that is the only way to kill them for good: to let them vote. But when it is decided at the last minute that their votes will not count, they are not happy, and they come back once again to fight for their rights to party...Oh, I mean vote. 


This one, to me, isn't as great as a lot of the other Masters of Horror movies. It could just be that I'm not a very political person. I don't follow politics, and I really don't care, so this movie didn't really effect me that much. I'm not saying it was bad; it was funny because of its satirical nature. But I'm used to MoH being scary, or at least creepy, and to me this one was neither. The zombies talked and barely killed anything. So, it just didn't do much for me. It was well done, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment