10.11.2011

#65 -- My Name Is Bruce (2007)

Director: Bruce Campbell
Rating: 4 / 5

I actually heard about this movie from my dad who, like me, happens to be a big Bruce Campbell fan. He told me that the movie was awful, and hardly Campbell's best work. Any time I hear bad reviews about a movie, I have to see it. So as usual, I went straight to Netflix to see if it was available to watch instantly. Luckily, it was. And, as usual, I disagree with my dad. Okay, maybe not "as usual." He's right sometimes – SOMETIMES. But he was wrong here, because this movie rocks.

Bruce Campbell stars as himself, the b-movie scream king, who visits a small town at the request of a teenage boy. An ancient samurai warrior demon, who is protector of all bean curd, has been unwittingly unleashed upon said small town – by a couple of kids hoping to get lucky in the cemetery. The teenage boy is a ginormous fan of Campbell's, has seen him destroy many a demon, and hopes that he can do the same for his family. Bruce spends a lot of time trying to convince the kid that he's not actually a hero – he's just an actor (and to stop calling him Mr. Campbell, because "Mr. Campbell makes soup"). But the kid will have none of it; he believes in Bruce and knows that he can help them.


Bruce is a bit of a dickweed for the majority of this movie (which kind of worries me since he also directed the movie; is he actually that much of an asshole?), but he eventually turns everything around and decides to help them out. This one is just like any other goofy b-movie: ridiculous, silly, and downright awesome. Bruce Campbell is one of my favorite actors, and he does not disappoint here. The samurai/bean curd guy is completely ridiculous, but it somehow works. You can expect from this one what you would expect from any other well-made b-movie. It is a must for Bruce Campbell fans. It's also a must for b-movie fans, and…well, horror fans too. I think it's safe to say that, if you're a living human with half a brain, you should probably just go ahead and watch this movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment