10.02.2012

#192 -- The Uh-Oh Show (2009)

Rating: 3 / 5
Director: Herschell Gordon Lewis

When I found this movie on Blockbuster.com, I knew I had to see it. The synopsis Blockbuster gave me made me think of Slashers, one of my favorite horror-comedies. I thought this might be a little bit like Slashers (where they put contestants in a building with three people trying to kill them), but it's just a little bit different. It's still a game show where people get hurt, but there are some differences.

In the Uh-Oh Show, contestants have to answer questions asked by their lovely host Jackie. Each correct answer is awarded with fabulous (and ridiculous) prizes. Prizes like their own limousines, trips with movie stars, millions of dollars, fancy cars, etc. But if they get a question wrong, out comes Radial Saw Rex: a big, half-naked black dude in a top hat. One of their beautiful ladies spins the big wheel, and whatever body part it lands on, Radial Saw Rex saws it off with his handy saw. You can see, from the photo I've provided, what the categories are: Nose, leg, "our call," ear, arm, "down there," Ugh!, and Melt Down. Most of them are self-explanatory. When it landed on Melt Down, they electrocuted their victim, setting him on fire. After missing a question and losing a vital body part, the contestants, of course, still get the prizes they won by answering the previous questions right--though most people don't make it past the second question. They always promise to reattach their body parts, but I noticed they never really honor that promise. One lady had someone else's arm attached. It was burnt up, and they put it on backwards. But apparently having their body parts sawed off doesn't even hurt them. In fact, they seem to enjoy it.

Uh-oh!
When a reporter named Jill's boyfriend decides to go on the show, because they desperately need the money, Jill is very worried. When her boyfriend goes missing afterwards, she knows something is up, so she does a little digging. The creator of the show gets the opportunity to do a spin off that will get him a lot more money, but two of their stars don't want any part of it. It's the host, Jackie, and one of the girls, Champagne. So, they are fired, and they go to Jill's aid, along with a super-fan and Jill's friend Oscar. They find out that the contestants don't get any prizes at all (that's why they're able to offer such extravagant things; because they don't intend to give away any of it), and they all end up in the meat factory. So, what can they do to be sure no one else falls prey to the Uh-Oh Show? Stay tuned to find out!

All kidding aside (though that's hard when talking about a movie like this), this was actually quite interesting. It wasn't the best thing in the world, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. It was silly--okay, it was downright stupid. But it wasn't horrible. The acting was okay, and it seemed purposely over the top, which is fine with me. The effects were okay; nothing spectacular, but not the worst I've ever seen either. Oh, and Lloyd Kaufman had a cameo as a pimp, so that was a plus. There was also random commentary from some weird dude wearing a turban; that weird guy happened to be director Herschell Gordon Lewis.

I don't think anyone will expect a masterpiece going into this. As long as you've got that mindset, and you're not expecting it to become your new favorite movie, I think you might enjoy it. It was entertaining and silly, with over the top gore--Yay! So, was it everything I'd hoped it would be. No, it wasn't. I still love Slashers a lot more. But I wasn't disappointed with it, since I expected it to be exactly what it was--cheap laughs, cheap thrills, and short-time enjoyment.

1 comment:

  1. LOL @ the big dude in the top hat. :x I heard about this film and some people were bashing it! :(

    ReplyDelete