7.26.2011

# 8 -- Repo: The Genetic Opera (2008)

Director: Darren Lynn Bousman
Rating: 2.5 / 5

I'm not sure why I wanted to see this one. Maybe it's because I found the story intriguing. Plus, it was recommended by a friend, and I trusted her judgement. It's not a bad movie; it's just not quite my cup of tea. I'm not even sure this is considered horror, but it seemed fitting to include it here.

Geneco is a company that specializes in organ transplants and plastic surgery. They offer a payment plan, and if you can't make your payments you'll be visited by the Repo Man. The story follows a girl who suffers from some kind of blood disease. Rotti Largo, the head of Geneco, tells her that he can cure her. But he needs her help first, and it leads to the hardest decision of her life.

Shilo resents her mother, who died giving birth, for passing on her genetic disorder. Her father has kept her locked away all her life, he says, because it's not safe for her outside. We find out later that Shilo's father had found a cure for his wife. He gave it to her while giving birth, and she passed away. Her father has blamed himself all these years, but unbeknownst to him, the blame lies on Rotti Largo's shoulders. He was in love with Shilo's mother, and she left him to be with Nathan. So, Largo killed her and blamed Nathan. And the only way for Rotti to keep Nathan's dirty secret was if Nathan worked for him at Geneco - as the Repo Man. Rotti never forgave Nathan, and ends up asking his own daughter to murder him.


The cinematography is beautiful in this film, and I think it had wonderful potential. It could have been great. But 95% of the film's dialogue was singing, and it was very distracting. I couldn't get into the story that much, because I was focusing on their singing, trying to figure out what they were saying. And it kind of ruined it for me. Now, I've got nothing against musicals - actually, I love them. I love a movie that has a couple amazing songs here and there. But an opera is quite different - every other word is a song. And I just can't handle it. As I said before, it's not a bad movie. It just wasn't for me. 

The best part of this movie was Sarah Brightman as Blind Mag. She was a blind singer who had her eyes genetically altered. She could not only see, but her eyes had the power to "do more than see." She was gorgeous, and her singing was magnificent, as always.



Another good (and funny) part was when Paris Hilton's character Amber Sweet's face fell off due to excessive plastic surgery. 

There were good effects and wonderful filming. So if you're into blood, guts and opera, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment