7.25.2011

# 7 -- Dead Silence (2007)

Director: James Wan
Rating: 5 / 5

Beware the stare of Mary Shaw
She had no children, only dolls
And if you see her, do not scream
Or she'll rip your tongue out at the seams

Mary Shaw was a very dedicated ventriloquist, and her dream was to create the perfect dummy. She succeeded at her dream when she created Billy, her most prized possession. One day, when she and Billy were performing, a young boy stood up and challenged her--he said that he could see her lips moving. Mary was obviously very upset by this, since ventriloquism was her passion, and she couldn't let some little squirt call her out. Soon after, that little boy went missing. Nothing was ever proven, but the townspeople blamed her for the boy's disappearance. They tracked her down and killed her, by ripping out her tongue. She had lost her instrument: her voice. Her dying wish was to be buried with all of her dolls, and to be turned into a human dummy. Apparently Mary's soul became trapped inside of Billy, and whoever obtained the doll would be cursed. Once she appeared, the only rule was that the person could not scream, or Mary would rip their tongue out, as the poem implies. 

Dead Silence mainly follows a young man who searches for answers after he and his wife received Billy in the mail. While he was gone, his wife encountered Mary, screamed, and was swiftly killed by the angry spirit. 


What I love about this movie is the atmosphere. It's dark and suspenseful, it makes the heart race, and honestly...it scared the bejeesus out of me. I've seen a lot of horror movies in my lifetime, and I'm not easily frightened by them anymore. So when I find a movie that genuinely scares me, I can't get enough of it. Dead Silence did just that. I will never look at ventriloquist dummies the same ever again. In fact, I don't think I'll look at them period, ever again. I never realized how creepy those things are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment