6.15.2012

#98 -- Wrong Turn 3: Left For Dead (2009)

Director: Declan O'Brien
Rating: 3/5

A couple of cops are transporting a group of prisoners. Since they suspect that a breakout attempt will take place, they decide to take a route they normally wouldn't take - a very secluded route. It's no shock that it turns out to be a very bad idea. A tow-truck runs them off the road, their truck is destroyed, and in a turn of events the prisoners wind up in control of the police officers. I don't understand why someone would create a movie where the majority of the cast is asshole prisoners, because we do not feel for them at all. We WANT them to get butchered. But maybe that is the point exactly; at least we're feeling something for them.

The story seems to focus more on the relationship between the prisoners and the policeman (and a woman they found running through the woods), rather than the inbred hillbillies that are trying to eat them. We're more afraid that the head asshole will shoot everyone than we are of Mr. Backwoods cooking them up in some oppossum stew. It turns out that their group is actually is the biggest problem they have because, even if they escape the clutches of the crazy cannibal, they still will have to deal with the evil Senor Douchebag. But all is - kind of - well in the end. Or at least that's what I'm going to tell you, because I don't want to ruin anything for you.



I liked this pretty much just because of the gore. There were some pretty fucking sweet kills in this one, but the story just didn't impress me much. I would like to see more of the hillbillies, and less of assholes I don't give two shits about. And when a movie falls into a series, it is destined to be compared to earlier entries. This one falls short, unfortunately. What's good about the Wrong Turn series, though, is that they somewhat act as individual movies, so you don't exactly have to watch them all in order to get the jist of what's going on. Overall, I liked it but I didn't love it. The gore was awesome, though.

1 comment:

  1. I like 1, LOVE 2, but this one I really couldn't get into. I even liked 4 more then it and a lot people say that sequel was a fail!

    ReplyDelete